@ Global Data Systems
A Senior Technician has demonstrated the ability and desire to take responsibility for the installation of connectivity solutions. A Senior Technician can be assigned to service type work, a single project or multiple projects, depending on size and complexity. The Senior Technician must motivate work crews, develop intimate customer relationships and ensure a timely, high quality installation that meets specific customer requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Efficiently Install, terminate, and test structured cabling systems, copper cabling and common types of fiber optic fittings (SC, ST, LC, etc.) to industry, manufacturer and GDS standards.
- Ability to articulate the differences and similarities in the testing requirements for the different categories of copper media (Category 5e, Category 6, Category 6a, etc.).
- Proven ability to complete Telecommunication Room build-outs including rack construction, ladder rack installation, wire management, grounding, etc.
- Installs IP CCTV cameras, card access hardware per drawings.
- Proven ability to implement labeling schemes as detailed in the Project Scope of Work.
- Ability to configure and set-up test equipment to perform all required tests on each category of copper media using a variety of manufacturer test equipment.
- Ability to perform and document optical attenuation tests on single mode and multi-mode optical strands.
- Ability to configure, operate and analyze test data from Optical Time Domain Reflectometers (OTDR).
- Ability to maintain a calm and collected demeanor in difficult and stressful situations.
- Ability to motivate work crews.
- Monitor progress and assign tasks as appropriate to meet project milestones.
- Inform Project Manager, daily on project progress, problems, milestones and any other pertinent aspects of the installation. Bringing any issues of concern to the attention of necessary resources.
- Ensure that the proper test equipment is available, in proper working order and with all components available to accurately and completely test according to project commitments.
- Ensure project team members are certified as necessary and follow job site safety procedures and processes.
- Use proper care on all company assets to avoid breakage, misuse, theft, etc.
- Attend classes and training sessions, as requested by GDS management, to obtain and maintain vendor certifications.
- Other duties as assigned by Manager.
Break Fix Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions apply only to the employee who fall under the Break Fix department.
- Provide technical support and supervision of Technicians including on the job training as required
- Must be available on-call twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week, many times at very short notice, except for periods designated by the Operations Manager
- Plan site layouts of equipment and cabling
- Coordinate and execute VSAT and TVRO installation and configuration tasks
- Comply with all safety requirements and maintain up to date safety certifications as necessary to preform work in the oil and gas industry on and offshore
- Carry out accurate and thorough site surveys
- Provides advanced field service to include project leadership, installation, commissioning, testing and maintenance on Global Data Systems products and/or customer owned Systems (VSAT, CCTV, TVRO, EAC, Network, and Wireless).
- Work independently and with other employees and support vendors to diagnose problems and bring about successful resolutions to complex technical issues
- Set up systems in remote locations on land and offshore
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and five years of cabling, installation, termination, knowledge and usage of associated test equipment to include a line tester; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two of those years must include leadership of crews and projects; must be able to read blueprints and building specifications to lay out jobs including equipment, personnel and all related aspects of the job; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess and demonstrate troubleshooting techniques; Ability to terminate fiber optics is preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to assign tasks and work flows to work crews to maximize the efficiency of the work.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Maintain a clean, neat, professional appearance. Must wear approved company uniform during all project related duties unless specifically directed otherwise by a superior.
- Must adhere to and promotes approved GDS Safety policies.
- Must complete and submit basic paperwork (timecards, material forms, etc.) timely in according with company policies and procedures.
- Must maintain a current and clear driver’s license and be capable of driving a company truck as needed; BICSI certifications are preferred
- Can travel up to 100% of time for out of town work and may be required to stay overnight for extended periods of time based on project needs.
- Ability to understand complex wiring diagrams and installation instructions.
How to Apply:
Please apply online at: https://global-data-systems.breezy.hr/
Visit Site to Apply
Location: Lafayette, LA
Date Posted: November 11, 2021
Application Deadline: December 13, 2021