This person is responsible for overseeing Vermilionville's heirloom vegetable, herb, and cash crop garden responsibilities, as well as caring for village livestock. This position must be willing to work in period costume as designed by the Director of Museum Operations.
Heritage Gardener Responsibilities:
- Plan, plant, and maintain Vermilionville’s agricultural spaces/demonstrations.
- Provide interpretation material in an interesting manner to guests from a variety of backgrounds and ages. Material presented must be age appropriate.
- Research when additional information is needed for appropriate interpretation or plantings or techniques.
- Care for and sometime interpret the village livestock.
- Assist the Director of Museum Operations in village projects as needed.
- Help the Director of Museum Operations in preparation of Vermilionville’s special event days.
- Work with the Director of Museum Operations in developing long-term seed banking and native plant programming
- Participate in tasks outside of regular scope during special event days.
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions as needed.
- Follow all policies and procedures in personnel manual.
Salary Range: $21,000 - $30,000/yr.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Crisis management abilities.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds above the head.
- Must have excellent customer interaction.
- Must be able to work outside in the various weather conditions of South Louisiana while wearing historical costuming.
- Ability to drive a boat in a plus.
- Ability to speak French is a plus.
- Experience with livestock is a plus.
How to Apply:
Please email Brady McKellar - Vermilionville Director of Museum Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Lafayette, LA
Date Posted: September 15, 2021
Application Deadline: September 30, 2021