EMT - Basic
@ Acadian Ambulance
- Provide appropriate, efficient and timely pre-hospital basic life support care and transportation of the sick and injured in accordance with local, state, national and Acadian Ambulance standards of practice.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Except as specifically noted, the following functions are considered essential to this position.
- Conducts a careful examination of the patient for signs and symptoms of illness/injury and assists other medical personnel as necessary.
- Administers prompt and efficient basic life support care within the limits of licensure or certification and in accordance with approved protocols prior to and during transport.
- Provides careful handling of the patient to and from the ambulance.
- Provides safe and efficient transport of the patient in the ambulance to the medical facility.
- Provides a safe and efficient transfer of patient and patient care information to the receiving personnel at the destination.
- Documents all aspects of patient condition and treatment on EMS run reports. Obtains and records non-medical patient information as required. Completes other patient documentation and forms as required.
- Conducts regular unit inventory and equipment testing to ensure all equipment for which the EMT-Basic is responsible is present, clean and in proper working order.
- Upon completion of transport, responsible for all assigned duties which will place the ambulance and equipment back in service.
- Responsible for full knowledge of the ambulance’s basic life support equipment and its proper use at all times.
- Documents and reports all needed repairs to the proper maintenance departments (electronic or mechanical) as well as to supervisors and other ambulance personnel as required.
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, responsible for the use of basic extrication tools and procedures to gain access to the patient if necessary.
- In the absence of other qualified personnel, responsible for controlling the patient’s surroundings in such a way as to minimize further danger and control the actions of bystanders.
- In both the emergency and non-emergency setting, operates / drives the ambulance in a safe and efficient manner, following company driving guidelines, so the safety or condition of the occupants are not compromised.
- Follows all FCC regulations when communicating via electronic communications equipment.
- Attends all mandatory meetings as scheduled.
- Completes assigned station and station grounds duties.
- Orders supplies and equipment from Central Supply to replenish station and ambulance inventories as needed.
- Completes assigned ambulance duties (i.e., washing, waxing, interior and exterior cleaning, etc.) as required.
- Completes all required company reports and logs and when necessary provides other ambulance and supervisory personnel with the information.
- Approved Field Training Officer are responsible for precepting EMT-Basic students as well as new employees as directed.
- Must meet and fulfill the qualifications, requirements, functions and responsibilities of the Emergency Medical Technician – Basic job descriptions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Specific job duties which require the physical demands noted above:
- Lifting of patient from beds or emergency scenes onto stretcher and into ambulance
- Carrying of patients and equipment
- Climbing stairs or steps
- Working in unusual geographic settings such as ditches, hills, embankments, high elevations – natural or manmade
- Working with small, delicate items such as oxygen tubings, bandaging materials, IV setups when assisting advanced partners, medications, etc.
- Visually assessing the safety and condition of the emergency scene and the patient
- Verbally communicating with patients, co-workers, medical personnel and the public either directly or indirectly via electronic communication equipment
- Driving the ambulance in emergency and non-emergency situations both short and long distances.
- Specific situations that lead to environment conditions can include: hazardous materials calls, electrical emergencies, vehicular accidents, outdoor emergency settings, hurricanes, tornadoes, industrial accidents, conditions affecting driving, settings where heavy equipment such as extrication tools are in use, etc.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- National and/or State certification as an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic determined by appropriate state requirements.
- Current CPR certification as established by the American Heart Association.
- Current and valid state-issued driver’s license determined by appropriate state requirements (equivalent of a Louisiana Class “D” driver’s license).
- Must be able to read, write and communicate professionally and effectively with employees and managers. Must possess the ability to write simple correspondence or reports. Must possess the ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees and/or managers.
- Must be knowledgeable of company protocols, operational procedures and safety policies.
- Must be able to drive large vehicles in normal and adverse conditions.
- Maintain social, ethical and organizational norms.
- Achieve accomplishment of all task details, no matter how small.
- Maintain good personal motivation; develop a sense of ownership of job tasks and results.
- Must have a sense of urgency for all work performed.
- Must maintain professionalism and respect with patients, co-workers, emergency service providers, healthcare workers and the general public.
- Orientation to job requirements.
How to Apply:
Apply online at https://acadian.com/careers/
Visit Site to Apply
Location: Lafayette, LA
Date Posted: May 22, 2023
Application Deadline: June 22, 2023
Job Type: Full-time,Part-time