Civil Service Board Secretary
@ Lafayette Municipal Fire and Police
PURPOSE AND NATURE OF WORK
- As the sole employee of the Board, the Secretary has a critical role in managing the day-to-day operations and transactions for the volunteer board members by handling privileged, and confidential information, and providing accurate communication to the Lafayette Fire Department and Lafayette Police Department personnel, Board members, Board attorney, Consolidated Government, general public, press, attorneys and others as required.
- Duties require the exercise of experienced judgment, ability to work largely unsupervised, and knowledge of the board’s records and related materials to provide advice and resources to relevant topics at issue, such as applying for an exam, eligibility lists or transferring a score.
- The secretary gives proper notice of any meetings with timely distribution of materials such as agendas and meeting minutes.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK (Note: These examples are intended to illustrate the various types of work performed by incumbents in this class. All of the duties performed by any one incumbent may not be listed, nor does any incumbent necessarily perform all of these duties.)
- Coordinate with the Office of State Examiner in reference to posting promotional exams, location of testing, obtaining applications from employees and forwarding them to OSE.
- Efficiently answers a broad variety of routine correspondence and questions in person, by telephone and email.
- Screens applicants for minimum qualification and other requirements for admission to examination.
- Major responsibility is to prepare for the civil service board meetings, public hearings, and petitions. Meeting responsibilities include preparing and posting notice of agenda, preparing packets for board members, gather all correspondence to be discussed at the meeting, record board member attendees and absentees, record and take notes of all discussions, and typing minutes of meeting to send for board approval.
- Maintaining eligibility lists and updating seniority rosters.
- Collaborating with board members when revising classification plans, and proposed revisions to Civil Service Board rules.
- Checks records for completeness, accuracy, and conformity to established procedures.
- Independently performs records inventory and retention program administration tasks.
- Work is performed with limited supervision and is subject to review for adherence to standards, policies and procedures.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of the principles of standard records maintenance and good internal customer service techniques.
- Knowledge of methods for report presentation. Ability to assemble, organize and present, in written or oral form, factual information devised from a variety of sources.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ability to exercise discretion, on and off duty, in protecting the confidential and personal nature of information obtained in work performance.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Lafayette Fire Department and Lafayette Police Department personnel, Board members, Consolidated Government, general public, press, attorneys and others.
- Ability to compose correspondence on routine matters and to perform varied office duties.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduation from a standard high school, supplemented by professional level coursework in office administration, office management or office technology, and/or experience in the field of human resources, personnel, civil service and / or records management program work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
How to Apply:
For more information about the board visit https://lafayettela.gov/fire-and-police-civil-service/default
Qualified and interested applicants can email their resume’s to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Lafayette, LA
Date Posted: September 09, 2022
Application Deadline: October 10, 2022
Job Type: Full-time